Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Boys of Summer

As I begin this blog I must first give credit for my inspiration to take on this initiative to one Mr. Jace Miehle. Not only did I enjoy taking in his blogs, I recognized the emotional value it could bring to me to put some of my "small thoughts" on digital paper.

Shamelessly, the title of this here blog is a play off of my oxymoronic last name. It is also a slightly self-deprecating statement based on the fact that I don't believe much can be gleaned from your reading of this blog.

Nonetheless, if you have an interest in what is going on in my life, or if you just like catching up on some casual (or maybe some days- not so casual) reading on things like faith, society, politics, sports, entertainment, and whatever else is making me tick...then I invite you to read on, dear friends, read on.

In my maiden journey into the blogosphere, I shall keep it short and simple: I love baseball! I love it. I miss playing it, and I want to see more of it! Despite my Braves getting beat as I write this, my Clemson Tigers are finding ways to mess up the Sooners at the CWS.

I was so fortunate to get to go to Opening Day in Hot-lanta this year and I'm jones-in' to get back. It upsets me that so many people out there do not enjoy taking in OUR national pastime. I have heard so many say how boring baseball is to watch because of how slow it moves. Personally, I find baseball to be a thinking man's game. Between every batter and every pitch, strategies formed earlier from massive amounts of scouting data are being implemented and augmented depending on the situation.

As a fan, I enjoy the situational intelligence required, and I still agree that hitting a 90+ mph fastball is the hardest thing to do in sports. I was recently asked if I could go to any professional championship for any sport, where would I go? Without hesitation I said the World Series. It just means more to me than any other championship. The history. The lights. The atmosphere.

I'm hoping to take a trip across the nation soon and see a game at as many MLB ballparks I can. I've been collecting baseball cards since I was old enough to hold a bat, and I want to see those stadiums where many of my childhood heroes made history (even if some of them were 'roided up when they did it).

I know not everyone enjoys baseball as much as me... I just hope everyone can appreciate it for the great sport it is.


To end all my blogs, I plan to give a song I'm currently into and the last film I saw, just so you can have some more insight into what I'm doing and how I'm feeling.

Song: John Mayer- "Say" It was in the new Karate Kid movie and even though I have heard it a few times before, it just kind of stuck in my mind. It's catchy and at least attempts to have a positive message. For that, it's now a featured player on my iPod mix.

Movie: Karate Kid- outlandish, sure. Stereotypical, in many ways, yes. Enjoyable...absolutely. Will Smith Junior is just that. His expressions are just like pops and he is obviously a skilled actor already at a young age. Jackie didn't do a bad job either. The movie followed a very similar (if not, darn near identical) story arc as the original yet was unique enough not to require direct comparisons which was really it's saving grace. The original is one of my favorite movies of all time, and while this one will never reach that distinction, it was well worth the $5 I shelled out to see it.

1 comment:

  1. love this. i'm looking forward to seeing what you are up to since we've been horrible friends in keeping at touch. :)

    lots of love!

    ReplyDelete